Dr Joanne Ablett has a history in health and social care prior to attaining her Clinical Psychology Doctorate from the University of Leicester in 2010. Since that time she has worked in NHS Trusts, most recently as Head of Psychology at St Helen’s & Knowsley NHS Trust, and continued to build her skills and knowledge and to develop into different clinical areas of expertise.
Within her roles in the NHS, she has worked with some fantastic teams to break down barriers to access for those needing help. This was most evident in her role as Consultant Clinical Psychologist at Salford Royal, where she worked with the team on the National Intestinal Failure Unit.
Dr Ablett created Flow Clinical Psychology as a way to offer meaningful ‘therapy’ which is flexible, creative and innovative. Flow Clinical Psychology aims to reduce the rigidity and limitations that therapy often takes, whilst offering highly skilled and evidence based approaches at the same time being willing and able to incorporate aspects outside of the therapists chair. Flow Clinical Psychology offers a fully integrated mind body approach.
With this mindset, Dr Ablett offers more traditional clinical psychology approaches, such as, Cognitive Behavioural Therapy (CBT), whilst integrating newer forms of therapy, such as Acceptance & Commitment Therapy (ACT), Mindfulness, Eye Movement Desensitisation & Reprocessing (EMDR) and Brainspotting, with aspects of imagery work including elements of hypnotherapy, somatic experiencing, trauma sensitive yoga, breathing exercises and meditation.
In light of Dr Ablett’s extensive experience in physical health settings, she is particularly interested in the way trauma can be expressed through the physical body and particularly skilled in working holistically with the impact of psychological wellbeing on physical symptoms, for example, gastro-intestinal, chronic pain, and sleep disorders arising from trauma, cumulative stress or acute circumstances.
Flow Clinical Psychology offers online therapy in addition to face-to-face to increase the accessibility and flexibility for clients.
She is forever learning and will share new insights with you through a flexible, tailored and individual approach to your needs.
- Doctor of Clinical Psychology (Clin.Psy.D.), University of Leicester, 2010
- Bachelor of Science in Psychology. The Open University (BSc (Hons))
- Certificate in Health and Social Care 1999
- Training with BSCAH (British Society of Clinical & Academic Hypnosis) in Hypnotherapy, 2012
- EMDR Foundation Training (EMDR Masterclass) 2020
- 300 Hour Trauma Sensitive Yoga Teacher Training (in progress)
- Chartered Psychologist by the British Psychological Society. (C. Psychol.)
- Registered with Health Care Professions Council
- Associate Fellow of the British Psychological Society (AFBPsS)
- Division of Clinical Psychology (BPS) Membership (MBPsS)
- Member of Division of Health Psychology
- Member of The British Society of Clinical & Academic Hypnosis (BSCAH)
- Registered as Expert Witness
- Enhanced DBS Clearance
Registered with major health insurers including BUPA, Aviva, AXA, Vitality, Cigna and WPA